Yale Summer Session Programs Abroad are intensive, highly structured programs for Yale College credit. A full semester of coursework is condensed into a portion of the summer, leaving participants with limited free time during the program. Students benefit from the same level of rigorous coursework offered at Yale during the academic year. Through excursions and activities, students gain hands-on experience that amplifies the classroom learning.
Students may only select one of the Yale Summer Session Programs Abroad at the time of application. As the number of seats is limited, admission cannot be guaranteed. Students who are not admitted into their chosen program will be given the option to either be placed on the waitlist of their chosen program or select a Yale Summer Session program with spots still available, if applicable. For this reason, all applicants are encouraged to have a backup plan. Yale College students should consider applying to a Non-Yale Summer Abroad
program as another option.
Applications are reviewed to ensure that students meet the eligibility requirements and pre-requisites of the chosen program. Academic records and application essays are considered during the review process. Applicants from both within and outside the Yale University community are welcome to apply; however, preference is given to Yale College students. The Yale Summer Session Programs Abroad Committee makes the final applicant selection decisions.
- You must be 18 years of age or older by the start of the program and have completed one year of college (programs are not open to high school students).
- If you are not enrolled in an institution where you are working towards an undergraduate degree, you must have a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science degree.
- Not be on disciplinary probation at time of enrollment abroad. If your probation ends at the end of the spring term, then you are eligible to apply. If your probation carries through the following fall term, you are not eligible.
- You must meet academic prerequisites as listed on the program page.
- For programs with a language prerequisite, your academic record should show evidence of previous language study or a valid placement exam result.
- For elementary language programs (L1-L2), you must take both the L1 and L2 course components. Students who have already taken L1 (equivalent to one semester of college-level language study)—or placed into L2—or higher are ineligible
- For intermediate language programs (L3-L4), you must take both the L3 and L4 course components. Students who have already taken L3 (equivalent to three semesters of college-level language study)—or placed into L4—or higher are ineligible
To open an application, click on the “Start Applying” button above or below, which will appear on the page as an active link on December 15.
- Yale Students: Enter your NetID and password. A MyCIPE profile will be created automatically.
- Visiting Students: Enter an e-mail address. You will then be prompted to create a MyCIPE profile.
Yale Summer Session (YSS) Programs Abroad Deadline: 11:59 p.m. (EST) February 15
All YSS Programs Abroad applications will be reviewed after
the February 15 deadline.
Data Privacy Note
Personal data collected by Yale Summer Session Programs Abroad is used for the primary purpose of considering your application for participation in a Yale Summer Session Abroad program. If you are admitted, your data may also be used to facilitate your participation in the program.