Yale Summer Session (YSS) Programs Abroad are intensive in nature, with an entire semester or academic year of course material condensed into a limited number of weeks. The Study Abroad Committee selects applicants who are mature and motivated to participate fully in all aspects of the program, both in the classroom as well as during scheduled trips or activities.
Eligibility Requirements for YSS Abroad Admission:
- You must be 18 years of age or older by the start of the program and have completed one year of college (programs are not open to high school students)
- If you are not enrolled in an institution where you are working towards an undergraduate degree, you must have a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science degree
- You must meet academic prerequisites as listed on the program page
- For programs with a language prerequisite, your transcript should show evidence of previous language study or a valid placement exam result
- For elementary language programs (L1-L2), you must take both the L1 and L2 course components. Students who have already taken L1 (equivalent to one semester of college-level language study)—or placed into L2—or higher are ineligible
- For intermediate language programs (L3-L4), you must take both the L3 and L4 course components. Students who have already taken L3 (equivalent to three semesters of college-level language study)—or placed into L4—or higher are ineligible
To open an application, click on the “Start Applying” button above or below, which will appear on the page as an active link on December 15.
- If you are a Yale student, when you enter your NetID and password a MyCIPE profile will be created automatically.
- If you are a student from another institution, you will be asked for an e-mail address and prompted to enter basic information to complete your MyCIPE profile.
Your application is considered complete once all application items have a check mark in the relevant boxes located in the "Completed" column.
Yale Summer Session (YSS) Programs Abroad Deadline: 11:59 p.m. EST February 15
All YSS Programs Abroad applications will be reviewed after
the February 15 deadline. You will receive an e-mail from the MyCIPE system regarding admission and can review your status anytime by logging into your MyCIPE account.
- Before submitting this application, carefully red all pertinent sections on the Study Abroad website regarding YSS Programs Abroad, especially information relating to admissions, academic, financial, and residential policies.
- If you are an alumn of Yale Summer Session do not pay the $75 Application Fee; please contact email@example.com to have the application fee waived, after opening an application by clicking on the "Start Applying" button above or below.
- If you plan to apply to both a Yale Summer Session Program Abroad and either a Yale Summer Session course in New Haven or Online, first pay the $75 Yale Summer Session Application Fee in your MyCIPE account, then contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a fee-waiver pin for the Yale Summer Session New Haven/Online application.
Other Summer Programs for Yale College Students
We strongly encourage Yale College students to have a backup option in the event that you are not admitted to a Yale Summer Session Program Abroad or change your plans.
If your backup choice is a Non-Yale Summer Abroad option, you must complete a Credit for Non-Yale Summer Abroad application by March 1. To learn more about the application and credit transfer process for Non-Yale Summer Abroad, please visit the Credit for Non-Yale Summer Abroad
If your backup choice is either Yale in London
or a Global Summer Program
your should review those programs' websites for application and deadline information.